Using a crockpot offers several advantages; quick prep in the morning (or sometimes the night before if you add any meat just before cooking) allows you to come home to a hot home-cooked meal at the end of the day, you can cook a casserole in the oven and use the crockpot to keep it warm during gatherings/parties, most recipes are relatively simple, and during the colder months, using your crockpot is warming and comforting. Put your slow-cooker to work this season!
Crockpot Vegetable & Bean Chili
- 1 can cannellini beans or black beans
- ¾ cup lentils – I used a mixed lentil trio for this recipe
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes – feel free to use fresh tomatoes but I used canned in the off season as they are canned a peak ripeness and offer more benefits.
- 1 small-medium green pepper diced
- 1 small-medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced fine
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- a few grinds of black pepper
*to thicken & to add protein, you can add 1/2 cup quinoa and 1/4 cup red lentils one half hour before serving. You may thicken with ground flax seed too or eat it as it is!
Add all ingredients to crockpot, stir to mix and cook low for 7-9 hours or high 4-5 hours. Sprinkle with cheddar or grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (optional). Add more heat of you like it super hot. Serve alone or alongside tortilla chips or cornbread.