Kidney beans are high in cholesterol-lowering fiber, (45% RDA in just 1 cup), and are good for regulating blood sugar making them a perfect food and/or snack for diabetics and those with hypoglycemia. Kidney beans are a good source of plant protein and they are fat free.
These beans are heart healthy gems as well, not just because of their fiber content but for the significant amounts of folate and magnesium too. Folate helps lower levels of homocysteine. Elevated blood levels of homocysteine are an independent risk factor for heart attack, stroke, or peripheral vascular disease. Adequate magnesium helps veins and arteries relax, which lessens resistance and improves the flow of blood, oxygen and nutrients throughout the body.
Kidney beans like most other beans are very versatile. You can add them to salads and other vegetables dishes, meat dishes or eat them alone as a snack, which is one of my favorite midday munchies. If you choose canned beans be sure to rinse them well in a colander to remove unhealthy sodium before using.
Kidney Bean Munchies – you can choose any type of bean in these recipes, use whatever you have on hand or your favorite – be creative!
1 can rinsed kidney beans
Your favorite spice such as chili powder, cayenne, lemon pepper, turmeric, curry etc.
Put rinsed, drained beans in a bowl and sprinkle the spice over them and toss to coat evenly. Serve.
A Few Quick Serving Ideas (whfoods.com)
- Combine cooked kidney beans with black beans and white beans to make a colorful three bean salad.
- Mix with tomatoes and scallions and dress with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper.
- In a food processor or blender, combine cooked kidney beans with garlic, cumin and chili peppers for a delicious spread that can be used as a dip or sandwich filling.
- Make a pot of chili, the hearty Mexican soup that traditionally features kidney beans.
- Make tacos with a vegetarian twist by using kidney beans in place of ground meat.
Cucumber, Melon & Kidney Bean Salad
1 English cucumber, chopped bite sized
2 cups fresh melon (cantaloupe, mango, watermelon etc), chopped bite sized
½ cup red onion, chopped, fine
1 can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
Freshly ground black pepper
Add all ingredients to bowl and toss with olive oil and apple cider or red wine vinegar.
For a creamier dressing mix ½-¾ cup plain Greek yogurt with 1 Tablespoon cilantro.
Let flavors marinate 2-24 hours. Serve.