Citrus fruits have many benefits including of course high vitamin C. Vitamin C plays a key role in the formation of collagen: a primary component of the connective tissue in the body strengthening ligaments, tendons, dentin, skin, blood vessels and bones. It aids in wound healing, tissue repair and helps against cell damage.
Citrus fruits are good sources of folate for new cell growth, helps the production of DNA, RNA and mature red blood cells helping prevent anemia.
Potassium, a mineral that helps maintain body water, acid and plays role in transmitting nerve impulses to muscles in muscle contraction. It also helps maintain normal blood pressure.
Phyto-chemicals (Phyto=plant in Gr.) in fruit and vegetables protect against various diseases including heart disease, cancers, stroke and Type 2 diabetes.
How much do we need to eat daily? 30-200mg./day. That equals roughly 5 servings of fruit per day.
Try This Recipe
Sweet & Tangy Citrus Salad
- 4-6 cups greens, arugula, spinach, baby lettuces
- 3 cups assorted favorite citrus fruits, Clementine, orange. Grapefruit, lime, lemon,
- ½ cup Strawberries, sliced or blueberries or both
- 2 Tbs. seeds, such as Chia, Flax, toasted sesame, pumpkin, toasted sunflower
- Juice of 1 lemon and ½ lime
- ¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Combine and mix with whisk or in a jar until well blended. Pour over salad.